2022-2023 Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program is now open until August 13.
FLTA is a full scholarship program for early-career English language teachers based outside of Metro Manila. Take this opportunity now and spread the word. Create your online application here — https://apply.iie.org/flta2022.
Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program
Funded by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) at the U.S. Department of State, the FLTA Program is a full scholarship program for early career (not more than seven years of teaching experience) English-language teachers to work as Filipino-language teaching assistants at a U.S. university for one academic year (nine months). FLTA aims at strengthening foreign language instruction at U.S. colleges and universities while providing foreign teachers the opportunity to increase their English language proficiency, refine their teaching skills, and extend their knowledge of the culture and customs of the United States.
During the program year, the participant will have the opportunity to take classes on teaching methodology and other topics, such as American studies. The participant is also expected to participate in university programs and to share the Filipino culture with their colleagues and students.
FLTAs should be energetic, early career educators capable of succeeding in the dual role of being a university teaching assistant and a student. He/she must be open to living with their U.S. student peers in an undergraduate or graduate level campus housing, and also engaging with faculty and staff with maturity and professionalism.
Please note that dependents are not allowed to travel with scholarship recipients.
The grant is is non-renewable. ECA will not support any extension requests for FLTAs. Participants must fulfill the two-year home residency requirement required by exchange participants’ J-1 visas, in which they pledge to demonstrate their commitment to enhancing mutual understanding by returning to their home countries and sharing the skills and knowledge that they have gained as program participants. Applicants with active applications for permanent residency or the diversity visa lottery will not be considered.
- Filipino citizens.
- Must be teachers of English, or in training to become teachers of English, based outside of Metro Manila.
- Must be residing in the Philippines throughout the nomination and selection process.
- Must possess the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree with a good academic record; Master’s degrees are highly desirable at many institutions.
- Fluency in English is mandatory. A score of no less than 90 (iBT) on the TOEFL is required.
- Must be able to demonstrate maturity, dependability, integrity and professionalism.
- Should be energetic, early career educators capable of succeeding in the dual role of being a teaching assistant and a student.
- Must return to the Philippines upon completion of the nine-month program.
- Must be no younger than 23 and no older than 29 years of age at the time of application. The FLTA Program does not provide J-2 sponsorship for dependents.
- Completed online application at https://apply.iie.org/FLTA2022
- Official or certified transcript of records from all colleges/universities attended
- Certified true copy of diploma (not original)
- Three letters of reference (forms are found on the online application)
- Letter of Institutional Support (should come from the University Head/Chancellor/University President/VP for Academic Affairs) printed on an official school letterhead – this letter should state that the university is aware of and supports your participation in the Fulbright FLTA program. It should indicate that you will be granted an official leave, preferably with pay, from the institution and will resume your teaching status in the university upon completion of your program in the United States.
- Supplemental forms
- Copy of passport
- TOEFL or IELTS score report (if available)
The application period for the 2022-2023 Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program is now OPEN. Deadline for online applications is on August 13, 2021.